Montag, 28. März 2011

CESOM two third

Last week-end I took part in CESOM middle and sprint distance competitions held in Slovakia, quite close to the Austrian border. As I didn't have any fast o-technique trainings nor competitions during the winter period, it is high time to get used to orienteering again. Already next week-end, we'll have the first district champs 2011 - ultralong distance (this year, for the first time with mass start). After a two hours drive and some proper warm-up, I headed out into the forest. Damn, is this an unbelievable fast forest! I ran 4'39/km linear distance (and approx. 4'11/km effectivly), with some bigger mistakes to no 4, where I was running along the wrong contourline, no 9, when I changed the direction just in front of the control and no 18, where I even made a wrong correction :-( I ended up in 8th spot, almost 4 min down on Warti, who managed to run an almost perfect race with 4'06/km linear distance! Impressive! After some rest, cookies and two bananas, I started preparations for the sprint. I realized quite soon that I am an old man, because my legs were incredible stiff. After some 20 min warm-up it went a bit better, but I was far away from gentle running ;-) I had a smooth start and managed to run full speed through the forest, when I suddenly had to stop on my way to no 5 - I was already planning my route from 5 to 6 while not being 100% prepared for leg 4-5! So I had to stop in the middle of nowhere, saw a control and started running towards this white-orange flag on top of a hill - STOP - "on top of a hill? I am looking for a pit on the hillside..." so I turned, looked back and saw a little piece of the correct control flag. As a result, 20sec were lost :-( The rest of the competition was more or less running, despite 9-10 where I choose the right route - on purpose! - because I had seen Chris for some controls already in front of me and thought why not testing this option. It was the slower option :-) And again a victory for Warti, this time with 5'36/km linear distance. I needed 5'56/km but was as fast as 3'39/km effectivly - how fast must have been Warti?!? Seems that he had a strong winter, as like Heli with just 7sec down on second spot. This time, I became 7th and was almost satisfied with my performance. The two competitions were well organized, with a nice and - though! - challenging terrain, but more important, it were two fast and hard trainings for my body and mind!

Keine Kommentare: